Considering the humble nature of Grace’s beginnings and the importance of the work, we’d like to help them gain some level of financial stability and sustainability. In the past, Grace Orphan Care has struggled to pay staff salaries, resulting in staff members working without pay for extended periods of time. By North American standards the amount of money required is paltry. The monthly payroll for the 10 staff members is approximately $300.00. Our dream is to find a sponsorship base who will help us cover the payroll for at least three years.
This solid base would allow Grace Orphan Care to use other financial resources to build a sustainable organization. For example, work has been underway on building a maize mill across from their compound, in order to generate funds from the local community during Malawi’s harvesting season. In this way, our support will truly be a hand up and not a hand out.
The Friends of Grace Orphan Care Society
The members of the Board of Directors of the Friends of Grace Orphan Care Society are:
- Ben Chugg, Calgary, Alberta, President
- Gavin Acquroff, Calgary, Alberta, Vice President
- Rick Elliott, Calgary, Alberta, Treasurer
- Dick Wilson, Calgary, Alberta, Director
- Dr. Jack Stonehocker, Stony Plain, Alberta, Director
- Barry Chugg, Calgary, Alberta, Director
- Cynthia Schantz, Calgary, Alberta, Director
We are grateful for the support of Nancy-Lynn Stevenson, Partner at Lamoureux Woolstencroft Stevenson, LLP for her generosity in the creation of the Friends of Grace Orphan Care Society.